Imagine a sort of job fair, but without all of the hinky grossness and more focused on equal parts building genuine professional relationships + learning how to be a better professional.
Then, imagine flipping the typical power dynamic of companies and individuals on its head. Instead of companies having “tables,” at this event it’s the freelancers, consultants, and solo business owners who possess skills and expertise for hire that make up the marketplace; meanwhile, companies who want to hire people with skills and expertise on a contract-basis can find people they connect with, and start making personal connections.
Our focus was on:
- building trust through personal connections
- bringing together partners who are motivated to improve in some way
Philly Freelance Fest is not just for freelancers! It’s for any kind of solo service business owner, consultant, or person who offers their expertise and skills for hire.
For freelancers & solo business owners:
- A schedule of workshops & clinics to help you identify key elements of your solo business and do it better (e.g. finances, marketing, etc) with options for beginners and more experienced solo biz owners.
- Opportunities to meet other freelancers and solo business owners who you can connect with, and potentially, find ways to collaborate.
- A posse of freelance-friendly clients who are looking to meet and hire partners like you on a contract basis.
- Access to ongoing resources to help you be a more successful freelancer.
For companies and agencies who hire (or want to hire) freelancers & consultants:
- A clearer picture of what kinds of freelance and consultant talent exists in Philly that you could hire to help with your business
- Guidance and best practices for how to most successfully engage with freelancers (it’s different from hiring employees, and it’s easy to get it wrong)
- A glimpse into the future of work as the US population shifts rapidly towards this model of work, for better and for worse